Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Finding Ovejas

It's been a week for finding ovejas.

     Our mission president bluntly told us that we are here to look for ovejas not mulas(sheep not mules). This week we have been able to see the difference.

     We met a new one this week. Every lesson we've had with her the spirit has been strong and she has been receptive. We invited her to be baptized and she told us that she has always wanted to be baptized but never had the opportunity. Oh, and that her mom wants to listen to us too and is willing to support her. That doesn't happen every day.

     Another investigator called us over to share with us a special experience she had resolving a conflict with her mother-in-law. She hugged us and began to cry. ''I wanted to tell you becuase, well, you told me you were like my sisters.'' It was a neat experience to see her trust in us.
   
     Another investigator we were worried about because she had a problem with drinking coffee. We taught the Word of Wisdom and this week she told us she's been able to stop drinking it completely. Looking her in the eyes I could see the changes that she's made and the desire she has to progress. 

     Another two investigators showed up on their own for the Women's Conference Saturday. I cried. 

     But the most incredible story is that of another investigator, the mom of Jonathan. In Sacrament meeting I was up on the stand leading the opening hymn when she walked in wearing her skirt and looking like she belonged. We made eye contact, she smiled, waved and found a seat with Hna. Eblin. My eyes filled with tears and I had to stop singing for a minute. It is one of the most incredible feelings of joy when and investigator we have been working with for so very long makes it to church for the very first time. To see her show up unexpectedly on her own marks a huge step in her progress. Four months ago she hid when we showed up. Now she comes looking for us. Three months ago she struggled accepting invitations to act. Now she finally made it to church. She got to see her son who got baptized a month ago pass the sacrament for the first time. At the end of the meeting when we finally had the chance to go talk to her she told us, ''Hermanas, I am going to start coming to church. Every one of the messages I heard really touched my heart.'' She was all teary-eyed, and so were we.

     We have had an incredible week and an incredible cambio. We have seen changes that I never thought possible in ourselves and in the area.

     NEWS FLASH: We just got the text message to tell us who in the zone has cambios. HNA DE LEON AND I GET TO STAY!!!! I do not have words to express how happy that makes me!

     This week has been one of my favorite weeks of my mission. And General Conference is coming this week. And hopefully baptisms of some of our ovejas soon after.

     I love being a missionary.

Hasta la próxima!
Hermana Thacker

No comments:

Post a Comment